Best Balance Bike Reviews – 2018 Buyer’s Guide
Make 2018 the year your child learns how to ride a bike! Balance bikes are the essential tool to teach children quickly and safely how to ride a bike on their own. Not to mention they are a fun, active toy for kids of all ages. This site provides informative balance bike reviews that help you select the best balance bike for your little girl or boy so you can focus on having fun with your child learning to ride a bike.
Why a Balance Bike?
Balance bikes offer the beginner rider many advantages over training wheels and tricycles. Not only can you child start on a balance bike as young as 18 months, but kids who start out on balance bikes build greater confidence in their abilities and transition faster to normal bike riding. The feeling of riding a balance bike is similar to riding a pedaled bike, and because kids feel safe and in control of a balance bike they are able to experience bike riding more realistically than with training wheels. With time spend on a balance bike, you child will know how to master bike balance and steering, the two most difficult skills for new riders.
Balance bikes also provide the opportunity for people of all ages with physical and developmental disabilities who are unable to ride pedaled bikes. With the right bike and proper instruction many people who otherwise could not enjoy riding a bike can because of balance bikes.
Plus, balance bikes are a lot of fun for everyone, including adults!
Read our full article on the benefits of balance bikes.
Check out our Top 5 Best Balance Bikes Quick List below to help you choose the right one for your kids.
Top 5 Best Balance Bikes for Your Kids
There are several things to consider when purchasing a balance bike for your child. With a wide variety in materials, quality, and price, wading through the different choices can seem overwhelming. Our balance bike reviews are summarized below to provide a quick buying guide to the best balance bikes from different categories.
Detailed reviews and lists that get into more specific details that help you find the perfect bike are found throughout this site. And please feel free to Contact Us with your balance bike questions.
Here are our choices for best balance bikes in 2018.
#1 KaZam v2S No Pedal Balance Bike (Best overall balance bike)
The KaZam v2s Balance Bike tops our list as best overall balance bike because of high quality aluminum construction at a reasonable price. The stand out feature of KaZam balance bikes is the unique step-in foot rest. We love this step-in foot rest because it provides a realistic pedal bike feel and ease in getting on and off the bike.
Another reason why the KaZam v2s is our favorite balance bike is because it comes with air-filled tires, which provide a smoother ride and better learning experience for kids. (The KaZam v2e model comes with foam wheels and at a lower price).
The recommended age range for the Kazam v2s is 3-5 years, which is the prime age for learning riding skills on a balance bike. However, if you are looking for a balance bike for a younger child, there may be better options. Because it is geared toward older kids, the Kazam v2s is on the heavier side of balance bike at 9.9 lbs (4.5 kg) but not so heavy to impede performance. It is a perfect weight for the 3-5 year old range – not too heavy and not too light.
The KaZam v2s comes in a variety of fun colors that should please any child and is reasonably priced for the high quality construction.
We recommend KaZam balance bikes because they are what we used to teach our kids. In fact, we used only one KaZam bike for all three kids with only replacing the hand grips and adding air to the tires. That’s how sturdy they are.
- The ONLY balance bike with an easy step-in patented FOOTREST design.
- KaZAM's footrest is in the natural place, where feet would be if coasting on a pedaled bike, helping to find their...
- Adjustable seat and handlebars - KaZAM accommodates ages up to 5 years.
#2 Kinderfeets Chalkboard Wooden Balance Bike (Best Wooden Balance Bike)
Many parents who purchase wooden balance bikes say that the wood is flimsy and can disintegrate quickly when compared to metal bikes. This is not the case with the Kinderfeets wooden balance bikes. Kinderfeets wooden balance bikes get excellent reviews for both the quality of materials and the overall ease of use. Plus, the sleep, European design makes these wooden balance bikes really stand out.
The most unique (and fun) feature of the Kinderfeets chalkboard wooden balance bike is that that the middle piece is a chalkboard surface that provides the ability for your child to fully customize the bike to their tastes. We believe that learning to ride a bike should first and foremost be fun for kids. What’s more fun for a toddler than being able to draw all over something again and again?
Another feature we like about the Kinderfeets bike is that seat is cushioned and washable. Many wooden bikes have wooden seats that can be uncomfortable, making riding less enjoyable. And anything washable is great when it comes to kids, too. Most wooden balance bikes do not have foot rests, and so the foot pegs on the Kinderfeets is another outstanding feature that make this one of our top picks.
Kinderfeets has a whole offering of fun an unique balance bikes, including a bamboo balance bike with natural wood finish and the three-wheeled Cargobike that has a pretty sizable storage area in front.
Kinderfeets bikes are slightly more expensive than most other wooden balance bikes, but if you are really wanting a wooden balance bike we feel that it is affordably priced for one that will last longer and be more enjoyable to ride.
- HIGH QUALITY - Kinderfeets has airless tires, adjustable, cushioned washable seat. Foot pegs to help children...
- BEST FIT FOR YOUR KIDS - It is ergonomically designed seat and handlebar position to encourage good posture and...
- ENCOURAGE KIDS TO DESIGN THEIR OWN BIKE - It is a hand-made wooden pushbike with foot pegs in black chalkboard...
#3 Critical Cycles Cub Balance Bike (Best Value in a Balance Bike)
If you are looking for a quality balance bike for around $50-60, then the Critical Cycles Cub is a great option to consider. These bikes offer a sturdy frame and great design without breaking the bank.
Although the Critical Cycles Cub is only offered with foam wheels (and not the air-filled wheels we prefer), this balance bike has the low center bar and a foot rest similar to the KaZam v2s.
The recommended age range for the Critical Cycles Cub is 20 months to 5 years, but at a weight of 9 lbs we find that it is a bit on the heavy side for kids under 2.
With such a wide variety of fun color choices and combinations, choosing may be difficult. You should also be aware that prices may vary with colors, so check out all the options available if you are really searching for a good deal.
- Critical Cycles Cub balance bike cultivates confidence in children learning balance and bike riding with its...
- Extremely safe design reduces risk of injury common on tricycles and training wheels
- Improves balance and coordination at crucial developmental stages, enabling a Seamless development towards a pedal...
#4 Woom 1 Balance Bike (Best High-End Balance Bike)
The Woom 1 is one sweet balance bike, but it comes at a cost. At around $200, the Woom 1 is packed full of features that your toddler may or may not fully appreciate as much as mom and dad, but they will surely have plenty of fun.
Some of the distinguishing features of the Woom 1 are the light-weight aluminum frame, high-quality materials and components, and an overall sleek European design. Similar to other balance bikes we really like for kids to properly learn how to ride, the Woom 1 has a low center bar and air-filled tires. However, foot rests are missing on the Woom 1 and there are limited color choices.
The Woom 1 has notable safety features not typically found on balance bikes. In addition to providing a means to slow down and stop, the hand-brake also provides early experience at braking on bikes. A less-noticeable but very nice safety feature is a limiter in the steering column that helps prevent over-steering and wobbling common for kids just learning.
The Woom 1 is ideal for kids aged 18 months to 4 years of age, with Woom brand pedaled bikes available for older kids (for example their smallest pedaled bike is the Woom 2 Pedal Bike). Woom offers a unique program, the Woom upCycle membership, where parents can save on later Woom purchases and receive credits for older Woom bikes. With kids continually needing new bikes to fit their growing bodies, this program can come in handy if you plan on buying new bikes at each new stage of riding and really like Woom products. However, this can be a commitment to a single, high-end brand that may not be right for everyone. But with the Woom 1 Balance Bike being the least expensive Woom bike in their line, it may be the right time to try it out.
If you are looking for a high-quality balance bike, the Woom 1 is the best on the market.
- Hassle-Free Assembly: Our Austin, TX based team of qualified mechanics prepare and quality check each bike prior to...
- First experience on two wheels: The Balance Bike is the perfect introduction to the concept of two wheels....
- Safety: The balance bike teaches the most essential element: Safety. Learning to use the break at an early age...
#5 Cruzee UltraLite Air Balance Bike (Best Balance Bike for All Ages)
Weighing in at only 4.8 lbs (2 kg) and built to last, Cruzee balance bikes are the perfect fit for kids that will ride their balance bike for several years or for families planning to use their balance bike through multiple rounds of kids. With a lifetime guarantee on all materials and workmanship, and the ability to fit practically any sized child, the Cruzee may well be worth the investment.
The Cruzee UltraLite Air comes with air-filled tires that we strongly recommend, particularly if you plan on using the balance bike for a long or through more than one rider. Cruzee offers the same bike with foam wheels at about $50-60 less than the air-filled tires. Although air-filled tires require a small amount of maintenance, the benefits of learning on air-filled tires will be noticeable when your child switches to a pedaled bike.
The ultralight, high-quality materials used to construct the Cruzee makes it the most expensive bike on our quick list. But if you are looking for a great bike to last you through several years or riding and multiple kids, you should seriously consider the Cruzee.
With so many great balance bikes on the market right now, a short list of our 5 favorite bikes doesn’t cover everything out there. Also, you may be able to tell that our favorite bikes have some similar features that may not fit the unique style or abilities of your child. But there are a wide variety of quality balance bikes out there. Below is a list of Runners Up that provide additional quality buying options.
- Award-winning German design no-stress method of learning to ride a bike
- High-strength yet flexible frame absorbs shock and helps protect a child's spine; made of durable high-tech...
- Child-friendly rear drum Safety Stop brake ensures gentle braking and safe for little fingers
- JOIN THE STRIDER FAMILY - Meet the bike that set the world on fire and revolutionized the way kids learn to ride....
- GROWS WITH YOUR CHILD - The seat and handlebar heights adjust to accommodate ages 18 months to 5 years, or a 12- 20...
- DESIGNED FOR YOUNG KIDS - Weighing in at only 3.0 kg (6.7 lbs.), the 12 Sport makes it easy for your child to ride...
- Illuminated polycarbonate frame with front and rear multi-colored LED light inserts
- 12" pneumatic rubber tires
- Steel spoke rims
- 100% Clear Top Grade Birchwood
- Rubber handgrips to protect little hands and the end of the handlebar from scuffs
- Sealed cartridge bearings for maintenance free, silent and smooth running wheels
- New sleek body design
- Elevated footrests
- Adjustable seat and handlebar heights
Comparison between Best Balance Bike and Pedal Bike
A balance bike is different from a regular bike. Aside from the fact that it is usually meant for children, it does not have any breaks. It does not have any pedals as well. The main reason for this is simple – it is because its main goal is to teach your child how to balance.
If other features will be added unto it, it will be the same with a pedal bike. The type of balance bike that you should purchase is something that your child will be able to use immediately. It will be a wise idea to find a bike that you can assemble easily.
If in case you are wondering why I have chosen the balance bike instead of the pedal bike, my reasons are simple – it is because of the following:
First, It is very simple. It does not require a lot of efforts to run and kids do not have to worry about trying to balance since the bike will do it for them.
Second, I believe that these bikes can help kids more than training wheels that can be dangerous because of so many things that are going on.
Third, It is more economical. The pedal bike will be outgrown by kids immediately but since the balance bike is adjustable, kids from 2 – 6 will be able to use it well.
Advantage of Using a Balance Bike
There are several advantages why using the balance bike is important. Here are just some of the advantages that you ought to know:
- Worth the Money: One of the main reasons why some people do not want to purchase the balance bike is because they feel that it is not economical. The truth is that it can be used as a replacement for a bike with training wheels that may not be too safe for kids.
- Encourages Kids to Play: Most of the time, kids right now only like to play at home probably because there are a lot of game consoles that are available. Kids can play with the use of their tablets and other gadgets but with this bike, kids will like to go outside and play. This will give them enough exercise throughout the day, at the same time; the experience will be totally different from what they experience at tablets.
- Can Help Families Bond: There are instances when families do not have enough time for each other because some family members are too busy. Parents just let their children play with their tablets and children do not make the effort to talk with their parents anymore. With the use of the balance bike, people are able to stay together and laugh together.
- Helps Kids Learn: Riding the bicycle can be hard for some kids and easy for some. With the use of the balance bike, kids can learn faster and easier.
- Very Safe: They are considered safer than bikes with training wheels and even some bikes for kids. Having a safe bike will allow you to feel secure while your child is learning how to ride a bike for the first time.
Some of the Best Products to Check Out
At this point, you may be wondering what products you can best check out so that you can choose. If you would try searching without doing any researching, there is a big chance that you will end up with a balance bike that your kid will not be able to use that much. The wide array of these bikes available can make it hard for you to narrow down your choices.
Here is a short review to help you out.
How to Buy the Best Balance Bike?
It does not mean that just because you have narrowed down your choices, it will be easy for you to buy the best balance bike already. There are still some steps that you have to follow to ensure that buying the best bike is possible.
- First: Consider the size and the age of your child. There are instances when your child may be too small or too big for his/her age. Some products are only meant for certain ages. If you would like a bike that can be adjusted, choose a bike that can let you do just that.
- Second: Consider the inseam length. If in case you are not sure about this, this means that your child should be able to sit on the bike and place his/her feet flat on the ground. If your child is not able to do this, it will be hard for the child to ride the bike. Know the inseam lengths of the bikes that you are considering to be sure.
- Third: Consider how well your bike is willing to learn or how well your child knows how to bike. If your child does not know how to ride a bike at all, get a balance bike that is very basic. If your child has already tried training wheels before, a more advanced balanced bike may be suited for him/her.
- Fourth: Consider the brand that you are going to purchase. If you are brand conscious, it only fitting that you will buy or check out brands that you know more. If you do not care about the brand that much, you can check out the balance bike reviews that other people have said about the variety that is available.
- Fifth: Consider the cost. This is probably something that a lot of people will consider important. It is likely that you will also find this important. As much as possible, you would like the cost to be just right for your child so make sure that you will consider the various capabilities and features of the bike plus the price to figure out which one is the best for your child.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
There is a chance that you will have some questions that you cannot answer as of now. Maybe you have checked out balance bike reviews but it was not that clear to you yet. In order to answer your questions, here are some of the frequently asked questions that can be answered.
Check out balance bike comparison to gather more details about the difference of bikes that are available. Do not forget to read balance bike reviews too because this has helped me a lot and you will get help from them too.
Balance bike Safety & Manual instructions Tips:
Do remember that there are some things that would have to be remembered about balance bikes in general. Some of these things are the following:
- If it came with wrappings, dispose of those wrappings immediately so that they will not be hazardous for your child.
- Make sure that the instructions will be followed when it comes to assembling the parts of the bike so that nothing will go wrong in the process.
- It is always better if the bike will be used in a smooth and flat surface all the time. Not only will this help keep the bike in good working condition, it can also help keep the child safe from harm.
- The bike should be adjusted based on the size of the child who is going to use the bike. Not having the right adjustments can cause some problems.
- The right equipment and gear should be worn while using the best balance bike.
Balance bike Maintenance Instruction Tips:
It is highly likely that you would like the bike to be used for a long time by your child. Not only will that make the bike more economical, your child will also get to enjoy it long before he/she progresses into a real bike.
In order to make sure that the bike can be used for a good, long, while what you can do is to check out balance bike reviews and follow these maintenance instructions:
- Keep the Bike Clean: No matter what type of material the balance bike is made out of, you have to make sure that you will clean it often. This will also help your child not to develop any allergies in case the bike becomes too dirty.
- Store the Bike in A Safe Place: If you would just leave it lying around, there is a possibility that it will become more susceptible to outside forces that will make it break down easier.
- Make Sure to Check the Various Parts of the Bike: Checking the bike parts will ensure that it will always be safe to use by your child.
- Use the Right Tools: This is an important thing to do especially when you are going to adjust the seat or the handlebars of the bike. If you do not use the right tools, this might make the car break down.
- Adjust: Do not be afraid of adjusting because even if you have already adjusted previously, there is always a chance that you would need to readjust it yet again.
Doing all of these things mentioned above will make it easier for you to maintain the balance bike of your child so that it can be used for a long period of time.
Tips on Buying Best Balance Bike
With all of the things that are mentioned above like the reviews, it is possible that there are still some facts that you would like to learn more about. In order to help you out, here are some things that you have to remember:
- Make sure that you will purchase a product in a safe, comfortable place – The place where you are going to purchase the bike may differ. For instance, you may want to purchase the bike online because this is where you usually do your shopping. You may do this only if you feel comfortable about it. If you would like to purchase it from a store because you would like your child to try it, you may want to do that too.
- Consider the quality of the bike – Aside from the price of the bike, you have to make sure that the bike will withstand the test of time. If you are going to purchase a bike that breaks down after a few uses, it is not worth it.
- Make sure that the bike’s adjustable features can be adjusted easily – if you would need tools that you do not have or you have to do a lot of things in order to do some adjustments, you have to think twice if it is the right bike for your child.
- Consider the material of the bike – Top balance bikes may have different materials that are available. There are some bikes that are made out of plastic while there are also some that are made out of metal. Some are even made of wood. It will be up to you to choose which one you think will be best for your child.
- Consider seat shape – What seat will make your child most comfortable in? There are different types so think about this well.
With these tips in mind, purchasing a balance bike can become far easier for you than before. Do you think that you will be able to find the right bike for your child right now?
Think about the benefits, pros and cons, features and other things about the wide array of bikes that you are considering. It is likely that after some time, you will find one that will be perfect for your child.
Hopefully, these balance bike reviews have made your mind clearer.
Last update on 2019-03-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API