Table of Contents
- 1 Our Picks for the Best Toddler Helmets
- 2 Verdict
Staying safe while biking, whether on a balance bike or pedaled bike, is likely to be one of your biggest concerns as a parent. The most important safety feature is a quality helmet. While a good helmet won’t stop your child from falling while learning to ride their bike, it is the most effective way to protect your child’s head. This post goes over our picks for the 5 best toddler helmets.
In the United States, approximately 26,000 children suffer bicycle-related traumatic brain injuries every year That’s a lot. And many of these injuries could be prevented or not as severe with a quality, properly-fitted helmet. Each and every time any of your children get on their bikes, they MUST be wearing a helmet. Getting used to wearing a helmet during the first experiences on a bike (or scooter, skateboard, etc.) as a toddler helps kids get used to helmets early on. This not only keeps your kids protected at an early age but also helps create safe riding habits that last them through adulthood.
Our Picks for the Best Toddler Helmets
1. Joovy Noodle Helmet
The Joovy Noodle Helmet is an affordable but safe option for kids aged 1-4 years, topping our list of best toddler helmets because it is lightweight and gets excellent reviews for a comfortable fit. It also comes in a variety of colors.
- Safety: Safety is the top priority in helmet selection. The Joovy Noodle meets stringent CPSC Standards.
- Comfortable Fit: Adjustable to head sizes 18.5-20.5 inches (47-52 cm) with excellent straps for a comfortable fit.
- For ages 1-4: Being able to wear at an early age ensures fewer battles in the terrible twos. This helmet will get you from riding in bike trailers or with a parent to their own balance bike.
- Fun Single-Colors Options: We like the color selection AND that it doesn’t have any annoying cartoon characters on it that your kid may not like next year.
- 14 vents for ventilation and sun visor: Perfect for those hot sunny days in town.K
2. Giro Me2 Infant/Toddler Bike Helmet
Giro is famous for selling high-quality helmets for skiing and biking. The company is now expanding and realizes that the best toddler helmets should also be sold for those kids. The company has a good history; several parents continue to buy helmets for their kids from this brand. They see that the extra fee compared to others is worth it.
- Mini-Loc fit system: Easily adjustable strap system that is easy for kids to understand.
- Microshell with bug net integration: This keeps toddlers comfortable and safe.
- Lots of room to grow in: The Giro Me2 Infant/Toddler Bike Helmet is carefully designed to fit in your child’s head as they grow.
- 6 cooling vents: 6 vents on top of the helmet to ensure ventilation
- For age 3-5 kids: The exact head circumference that will fit in is 18.75 to 20.5 inches.
- Visor for comfortable biking: A Visor is included to keep your kid’s eye shaded without blocking the view.
This helmet also comes in 6 different beautiful color combinations for boys and girls. It was made with consideration for comfort and functionality for your kids, so don’t have too many doubts about buying one of the best helmets for toddlers.
3. Schwinn Toddler Classic Microshell Helmet
Another of the best toddler helmets is the Schwinn Toddler Classic Microshell Helmet. Schwinn has a history of as long as 112 years in manufacturing helmets and bikes related equipment. Their quality should not be doubted.
- 10 flow vents: Kids stay comfortable even after a long ride on a bike.
- Adjustable dial fit: Gives a lot of room to grow in and better flexibility.
- Wide coverage: With its extended coverage, it offers better security for your kids.
- Sun brim: Built-in to protect their eyes and line of vision.
- Affordable: At around $20, the Schwinn Toddler Classic is more affordable than many other options.
Quite spacious, this helmet can be adjusted and is actually wearable even for babies as long as the circumference size is suitable. Don’t have to worry about buying another one for a few years!
4. Bern Unlimited Jr. Nino Summer Helmet with Visor
No cartoon characters, no problem! Bern Unlimited Jr. Nino helmet comes in vibrant colors and stylish patterns that will turn heads.
- Safety: Meets Safety Certification ASTM F 2040, CPSC, and EN 1078.
- Flip Visor: Great for quickly protecting your eyes from the sun while on the move.
- Comfort: Thinner profile than most comparable helmets provide a much smaller total helmet size.
- Style: Comes in a variety of fun colors, including designs like camouflage and flying tiger.
- Size fit: 25 – 21.5 inches (48 -51.5 cm)
- Options: winter insert option is available for year-round use.
If you are looking for a helmet that both you and your child will love, you can’t go wrong with the Bern Unlimited Jr. Nino.
5. Ovation Delux Schooler Helmet
Finishing out our list of best toddler helmets is the Ovation Schooler Helmet, which is used primarily in horseback riding but is useful for biking too. It is lightweight and the visor can be removed if you wish. It’s a step higher from the usual helmet; it’s the ultimate helmet that will definitely protect your kids from riding and biking. Ride and bike with one helmet only!
- Riding and biking: We all know that riding has a much higher standard than biking, so feel safe to know that your kid is wearing the safest helmet out there.
- Durable, removable visor: During riding lessons, sometimes you don’t need the visor. And this one provides you with just that.
- ASTM Certification: It is manufactured to fulfill the ASTM standard, which is suggested by the government as a certificate that ensures the safety of a helmet.
- High flow vents: Keep your children happy and cool as vents keep the current flow.
- Adjustable dial: Dial is also adjustable and unlike other low-standard helmets, this dial can really adjust to your kid’s head for the right fit.
Overall, 1-star rating sums up to only 2% of verified purchases in Amazon of this product, which makes this one of the best toddler helmets for your kids!
Selecting the Right Bike Helmet for your Toddler
There are several things that you should keep in mind when selecting a bike helmet for your toddler. Some of these may seem like common sense, but it is still good to have a short refresher before buying your toddler’s helmet. Different activities and sports require different types of helmets, so a bike helmet should be fitted and used for bike riding only.
- Colors and style shouldn’t be of priority
- Make sure that the material is durable
- There should be vents to allow for airflow.
- Adequate padding to absorb impacts and provide comfort
- Adjustable dial and straps to fit your child’s head properly
- Certification of meeting a quality standard (CSA, CPSC, ASTM, ANSI, Snell)
- Measure the circumference of your child’s head when looking at sizes online.
- Remember that your child will grow so getting an adjustable helmet that they can use as they grow will save money
- Sun visors are a nice feature, but should only shade the eyes and not block the user’s line of vision
How to Get a Proper Fit
Follow the 2V1 guideline to ensure that your child’s helmet fits safely and comfortably.
The 2V1 rules state as follows:
- Only 2 fingers width is allowed above the eyebrows
- A V-shaped should be formed under the ears by the straps
- One finger width between chin and chin straps
Essentially, the safest and best toddler helmets should not be wobbly and should stay firmly in place while riding. If the helmet moves when your child shakes their head or turns around, the helmet is too loose. On the other hand, if the helmet is too tight your child may complain of discomfort or pain. Working with your child in a positive manner to get them fitted in a helmet can help when it comes time to wear it. Remember, if you want to ride your bike and have fun, then you must have your helmet on properly. And this is a good thing.
Because wearing a helmet while your child rides their bike is a must, picking the right helmet is very important. Having a quality helmet that fits perfectly is even better. Remember that the best toddler helmets are those that get worn. Even if you own the best helmet, it won’t do any good unless it is used on every bike ride. Our list of the 5 best toddler helmets provides our picks for helmets with excellent safety features and great reviews for comfort and fit. There are lots of great helmets out there to choose from and not one helmet will fit every child perfectly. So, start with our list of toddler helmets to help your search, but remember your child is unique and you should ensure that the helmet you buy your toddler is perfect for them.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.